By This Name is our premier evangelism and discipleship resource. We are pleased to announce the launch of two new books in this family: By This Name Interactive Edition and By This Name Leader’s Guide.
In today’s world, many adopt their own brand of spirituality to make God out to be anything they want. A growing majority consider God to be an impersonal force. As believers, we often wonder how to respond to these worldviews.
By This Name utilizes a seldom-used but solidly biblical method to set apart the God of the Bible from other forms of spirituality, all the while answering two questions: “Who is Jesus?” and “What are the cross and tomb all about?” It establishes the authority of Scripture and gently compares the biblical worldview with other worldviews in an objective, non-arm-twisting way.
This new interactive edition supplements the text with 66 video clips that are accessible online via a smart phone, tablet, or web browser. The videos are also available on the DVD included with the book. Watch the clips online »
These clips highlight key points in the text as well as provide additional information. Readers are taken to key sites in Egypt, Jordan and Israel to have firsthand views of biblical places.
There are two ways you can use this book. You can simply gift it to friends, letting them read and watch so they can learn the biblical worldview for themselves. Or, the book can be used as the coursebook in a Worldview Rethink study.
- All Worldviews: Engages those who adopt their own spirituality, making God out to be whatever they want. Also for those who think of God as an imperonsal force or for those with post-modern, post-Christian and secular mindsets. Addresses questions arising from polytheism, pantheism, animism, agnosticism and atheism.
- Assumptions: Assumes readers have little or no knowledge about the Bible.
- Chronological: Begins with the creation of the universe and then, progressing sequentially through key Old Testament stories, moves into the New Testament to reveal the meaning of the cross and the tomb. The main story of the Bible is tied together into one universal, all-encompassing drama.
- Based on the gospel of John: Uses the gospel of John as a template; at the same time, provides necessary background stories to give the gospel context. It assumes the reader knows very little, if anything, about the Bible.
- Sets apart the God of the Bible: Answers the question, “What makes your sacred book better than mine?” By This Name addresses what makes the God of the Bible unique from all other gods or spirits.
- Peels religious tradition off the Bible: Introduces readers to the Bible without the trappings of religion.
- Objective: Allows the Bible to speak for itself in presenting the good news of the Lord Jesus Christ. There is no arm-twisting to believe. The message is presented objectively; the decision to believe or not to believe is left to the reader.
- Bible verses: Told as a story, weaving 1570 Bible verses throughout the narrative. The reader engages with the text of the Bible.
- Illustrated: Uses over 100 drawings, maps and diagrams to help explain the story.
When used in a course or study, the leader can take advantage of the By This Name Leader’s Guide. This guide is ideal for any believer who wishes to guide someone through the core message of the Bible–the gospel. This leader’s guide contains, in addition to the text of the book, supplementary teaching notes, instructions on when to use the Worldview Rethink visual aids, and when to play the videos. It also provides guidance on team teaching, how to answer questions, and when to use the workbook.
An entire section of leader’s notes provides more in-depth material so that the main content can be taught with confidence. These notes include tips for teaching, background information and additional Scripture references.
- contains full text of the course book, plus details on how to teach.
- contains DVD with 66 video clips totalling 2 hours 40 minutes. These clips can be shown during course sessions.
- This leader’s guide is part of the Worldview Rethink curriculum. It has been designed to work with existing Worldview Rethink visual aid toolboxes and resources (including the workbook and training DVDs found in the curriculum box.)
Available now on our US store:
- By This Name Interactive Edition
- By This Name Leader’s Guide
- Worldview Rethink Curriculum Box with By This Name
The interactive edition and leader’s guide will be available on our Canada store by Sep 21, 2015 and on our other stores soon after.